Monday, December 7, 2009

the coming home.

I am in complete shock that this very week I will be back in America. As much as I miss you all and cannot wait to be back in American culture, I am in no way ready to leave this country, it's people, or the many amazing people I have met through the USP program. Departure is going to be incredibly painful. Yet, I can look at this as a blessing, because it means that I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of Uganda and I honestly could not have asked for a more incredible experience. 
Although my time here has been nothing that I expected it to be, it has far exceeded any expectations I could have ever had and I would not change a thing about it.
Here are some quick updates on my life:
- the last few weeks have been a rush of trying to write five papers, take exams, attend classes, and soak in every last moment in Uganda. I am finally done with all of my work and now I can enjoy the last few days I have here!
- last weekend I had the privilege of going on a safari at Murchison falls, about a six hour drive from Kampala. once again, I am speechless. There is literally no comparison between seeing lions, giraffes, hippos, and elephants in their natural habitat to seeing them in the zoo. no comparison.
sitting on the top of a safari vehicle, holding on for dear life, bouncing around through the Ugandan savannah, looking at giraffes in the morning mist and quietly watching lions cross the road in front of me was one of the most surreal experiences I have ever been a part of. Not only was the scenery gorgeous, but the animals looked so much more beautiful and healthy in their natural environment.
- christmas in Uganda. It is nothing like the Christmas season at home, especially because I am still wearing tank tops and skirts and sweating, but it is such a unique experience. First of all, Ugandans go CRAZY over the song "Feliz Navidad".... who wouldda guessed?! 
Last Sunday night there was a Christmas chapel service, which basically consisted of a chapel full of people jumping up and down, dancing, waving towels and chairs in the air, singing "go tell it on the mountain", "a long time ago in bethlehem" and "jingle bells"... all of which were in African style. I have never seen people so excited to sing christmas carols and singing Christmas songs at home will never be the same again.If only I had video-taped this moment.
- wrapping up relationships and experiences seems impossible, but this is my goal for my final week here before we leave for Entebbe for three days of debrief.

sorry again to all of you who I didn't get your letters (which is most).. hopefully they will be mailed to me in the states!! thanks so much again for all of your support, prayers, emails, and thoughtful letter and packages. you have no idea how loved I have felt during my time here.. this will definitely make the transition home much easier.
once again, I am so blessed by each and every one of you.
your Ugandan, soon to be American, friend and sister, Kelly 

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, I have enjoyed your blog. I hope you will write of your experiences coming back to the states...how you feel, etc.
    Wish we were together..would love to hear all your stories!!!

    ReplyDelete